Re: Hard gloss coating and mounting a digital print onto a rigid surface

From: MARTINM ^lt;martinm@SoftHome.net>
Date: 08/01/05-04:48:50 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryuji Suzuki" <rs@silvergrain.org>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 10:48 AM
Subject: Re: Hard gloss coating and mounting a digital print onto a rigid
surface

> Polyester doesn't accept many chemical adhesions (film manufacturers
> use a few steps of very tricky processes to coat emulsions on them) so
> your best bet is mechanical means of bonding, such as screws, staples,
> clips, etc. to mount the picture on the board.

Note that low concentrated gelatin may actually provide sufficient adhesion
on PET. My D.I.Y. silver halide emulsions (2% gelatin solution) survived
all the subsequent processing steps on PET.

> Most common polyester for film base is PET, poly(ethylene
> telephthalate). This material melts at a rather low temperature.

...if you consider 250°C a low temperature...
I guess you're alluding to some special copolymers like PETG.
Regular PET (Mylar, Cronar etc.) has a relatively good heat resistence.

Martin