Re: Hard gloss coating and mounting a digital print onto a rigid surface

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 08/01/05-09:50:39 AM Z

From: MARTINM <martinm@SoftHome.net>
Subject: Re: Hard gloss coating and mounting a digital print onto a rigid surface
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 12:48:50 +0200

> Note that low concentrated gelatin may actually provide sufficient
> adhesion on PET. My D.I.Y. silver halide emulsions (2% gelatin
> solution) survived all the subsequent processing steps on PET.

Your film must be coextruded with other plastic or subbed with other
material in factory. Gelatin has very poor adhesion to plain PET.

> ...if you consider 250°C a low temperature...
> I guess you're alluding to some special copolymers like PETG.
> Regular PET (Mylar, Cronar etc.) has a relatively good heat resistence.

For photographic film bases, PET is about 50% crystallized. 250C is
unsafe. You should stay well below glass transition temperature once
the material is stretched to form a film.

More heat resistant polyester plastics can be made by blending some
other polymers. But this is another story.