Re: update: screw-in BLB light-box

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 08/01/05-08:10:06 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: <jude.taylor@comcast.net>
To: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>;
<alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: update: screw-in BLB light-box

> Richard,
>
> I did not use any reflectors, but that is a possibility
> that might help. The top of the box INSIDE above the
> bulbs is all white and should, as far as I can figure,
> reflect rather than absorb the UV. There are, however,
> several inches of space from the tip of the coil to the
> base of the ceramic sockets (top of box), and the sides
> of the box were not painted white or lined with reflective
> material.
>
> Hummmh! I wonder if silver / white "tea chest" paper
> lining would work?
>
> --
> Judy Rowe Taylor
> Mukilteo, WA
> Art is a voice of the heart, a song of the soul.
> www.enduringibis.com
> jude.taylor@comcast.net or judyrowetaylor@enduringibis.com

   Other than aluminum I don't know what materials are good
UV reflectors. Silver is not. One way to test is to see how
much florescence on gets from the reflected light. Near UV
will fluoresce the brighteners in ordinary writing paper. A
lot of materials that are good visible light reflectors
don't do will with UV. Aluminum foil from the grocery is a
good UV reflector, I suppose you could cement it to
something else which was the right shape.
   It just seems to me that compact florescent lamps are
intended to radiate most of their light in a horizontal
circle so using one side or the top as a source is probably
wasting most of the light output.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA