Re: PVA vs. PVA

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 08/01/05-09:30:30 PM Z

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Giovanni Di Mase wrote:

> Any idea what the stock ratio (dilution, pigment and bichromate) and would
> be using glue (any Elmers or Gloy) instead as arabic gum to start with?

I'd start with normal gum ratio, which goes anywhere from equal to 1 to 2
to 2 to 1 or more I suppose.

> I am assuming that Gloy is manufactured out of PVA acetate as all other
> glues and as I read from Katharine it is not water solubable therefore could
> not replace the arabic gum, but I have also read the opposite

If it isn't water soluble when it's dry, obviously you can't make a gum
print with it, because it won't differentially dissolve. On the other
hand, whatever you're using for a size, has got to be NON-water soluble,
or it will wash off even as you coat the emulsion.

> I am going to try anyway and compare to the PVA alcohol glue, I just need to
> have some clear ideas from where I am going to what I can find.

Well, I think one more thing, though I hope you won't think I'm being
snide... That is, WHY ? I mean, what benefit do you expect from what are
after all marginal, or anyway minority materials? Which is not to say
there are none (as I recall Joe Smigiel uses rabbitskin glue) but I have
yet to get an idea from this discussion of what they're supposed to be. (I
remember, BTW, in fact I have samples in the file, how hard Mike Ware
worked to get decent gradation with PVA. Not to say he didn't ultimately
get it -- I have no idea -- but that gradation is almost unavoidable with
a properly coated, exposed, and developed *gum* print.)

That goes not just for you of course, but for the whole discussion.
What is it about?

Judy