Re: PVA vs. PVA

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 08/01/05-09:17:26 PM Z

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> Katharine Thayer wrote:
>> I have had much better results with acrylic as a size than Judy reports,
>> and I wonder if perhaps when she did her early tests, she used matte
>> medium, which certainly would have the effect she describes. I can't say
>> I've used acrylic a LOT, but when I have used it for convenience, I do
>> get continuous tone in the gum print.

Actually, I tried all types on hand -- matte, gloss, & satin, in whatever
form I had them (ie varnish and medium). The dilution of all (for
simplicity sake) was 1 to 10. The best was the liquitex matt, tho now that
you mention it I'd have to look it up to see whether it was the varnish or
the medium -- but whichever, it wasn't as good for my purposes as gelatin.

Where it did work was in color separated *digital* (ie, halftone or
imagesetter or otherwise pixilated) negatives. My main interest at the
time was one or two-coat (or 2-1/2 coat) gum prints made with continuous
tone lith or other film negatives. Gelatin sized paper was so much better
than any of the acrylics for that I dropped them.

J.