RE: Re: PVA vs. PVA

From: davidhatton@superonline.com
Date: 08/04/05-04:43:45 AM Z
Hi Peter,
I don't wish to argue but I'm going to.:?)

I said

> PVA - white but dries clear - soluble in water - used as a
> waterproofing agent and plasticizer in cement etc..Does indeed work as
> a size applied once diluted 1 - 12 with bottled water. When dry it is
> insoluble in water.

You said

>Interesting, but incorrect...PVA is not in the least waterproof...No
>way is it insoluble in water no matter how long it has been dry for.

If you take a look at any of the links below (and there are very many more), you
will find information supporting my assertion. Oh, plus the fact that I have determined
by use that such PVA works as a size for myself.

I wouldn't expect any sane person to build a boat using Gelatine sizing as the adhesive nor would I use urea-formaldehyde/acid hardener glue as a size for gum.
It's all a matter of degree don't you think? There's waterproof for boatbuilding and there's waterproof
for gum. Maybe they used PVA on the Titanic..:?)

http://www.productselector.co.uk/docs/AGCerts/AG912695.pdf
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/pvaadhesive.htm
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/adhesive.html
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/pages/moreinfoa.asp?recordid=2542016&cid=880&afid=88888