Re: gum dot test - Crawford

From: Dave Rose ^lt;cactuscowboy@bresnan.net>
Date: 08/05/05-07:36:03 AM Z

So you're going to ask one question and then leave? Consider staying. This
is a good list, despite occasional heated differences of opinion..

I conducted the "dot test" many years ago, following instructions in The
Keepers of Light. Despite its obvious limitations and shortcomings, I found
the dot test useful. For example, the dot test suggested that pthalocyanine
blue had a strong tendency to stain at a given concentration while burnt
umber did not. Further testing, using dichromate sensitizer and making
actual prints, proved that the two pigments were indeed very different in
this regard.

Take the dot test for what it's worth, just a starting point leading to
further testing. If you do it, keep an open mind and reach your own
conclusions.

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Powell, Wyoming