Re: Hazards of wet plate collodion ?

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 08/08/05-02:49:49 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kerik" <kerik@kerik.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 9:47 AM
Subject: Re: Hazards of wet plate collodion ?

> Diane,
>
> You can use plain hypo to fix collodion images. Although
> many of the wet-platers I know prefer cyanide (as do I),
> it's not required for the process. Cyanide works much
> faster (not a big deal) and it tends to give a brighter
> image and a warmer coffee-and-cream tonality to the ambros
> and tins. The bottom line for me is I prefer the look of
> cyanide-fixed ambros and tins over plain hypo. Since
> you're teaching yourself the process, I'd suggest starting
> out with plain hypo. You may get what you're after and
> never have to deal with cyanide.
>
> The ether will be mixed in with your salted collodion.
> Once you've mixed them, you won't be handling raw ether.
> But, yes, handle the raw ether in a well-ventilated area
> and don't smoke! :-) Once the ether and collodion are
> mixed, you don't need to worry as much about ventilation
> and blowing up. When I'm working in the field, I generally
> pour the collodion outside (mostly because it's easier to
> see what I'm doing), then go into my darkroom (cabover
> camper with red windows) for the rest of the process.
>
> You might consider joining Quinn Jacobson's wet plate
> forum on his website www.collodion.com. Quinn does AMAZING
> wet plate work and is very willing to share his knowledge.
> I recommend everyone take a look at Quinn's images. I
> think he is on his way to becoming a successful fine art
> photographer.
>
> Kerik
> www.kerik.com
>

>> While I am waiting for my books from Coffer and the
>> Ostermans and
>> thinking about doing wet plate ferrotypes, two things
>> make me nervous:
>>
>> #1 using potassium cyanide.
  snipping here....

   Ammonium thiosulfate ("rapid") fixer may be a good fixer
here. It is more efficient in fixing out Silver iodide than
Sodium thiosulfate, which is why it is recommended for films
like T-Max, which have a high proportion of Silver iodide in
their emulsions. Ammonium thiosulfate fixer without
hardeners are used in color processing so are available off
the shelf, an example is Agfa Universal Fixer.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com