RE: Hazards of wet plate collodion ?

From: D. Mark Andrews ^lt;mark@dragonbones.com>
Date: 08/08/05-09:48:35 PM Z

One point of clarity here:

1. Collodion USP (Never use Flexible) is a mixture of nitrocellulose (gun
cotton) cut with ether and alcohol. Only the purists make their own. You
could substitute the word lunatic for purists if you want to be unkind. I
draw the line at this level of danger. Highly flammable and explosive.

2. When we say we coat plates with collodion we never mean directly out of
the bottle. The USP collodion is cut with more ether and 190 proof alcohol
as well as the addition of bromides to make is sensitive.

The problem is we tend to call both "collodion." In reality, one is a mixed
version for wet plate work. The other is used to clean large telescope
lenses and as a transparent wound dressing. A common version today is wart
medicine, which is collodion mixed with some sort of acid.

I have been saying for the past few months that wet plate collodion is NOT
technical, but is technique dependent. Pouring a plate with an even level of
collodion takes some time to learn, but doesn't take any technical skill per
se. The really technical issues are usually trouble shooting your chemistry.
I would say anyone who can cognitively manage gum, can do the analysis work
with wet plate in my opinion. Sometimes a plate won't take an image. You
have to start looking at the pH and specific gravity of your silver bath,
the amount of blue spectrum light getting through your windows, the ambient
temperature--a real pain in the ass to remix your chemistry for a 10 degree
temperature change. But I see/hear similar frustrations from those on this
list doing gum so my assumption is they both require one to be able to
analyze multiple variables simultaneously.

Mark