RE: Pt./Pd. question acid pre-soak

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 08/11/05-01:09:21 PM Z

Eric,

You are absolutely right. My ferric oxalate solution has a pH below 2.0.

I made a big mistake in relating what I did. What I meant to say was
that I added oxalic acid to the potassium oxalate developer in
amounts to get it into the pH 5.8 range.

I have always added oxalic acid in excess up to about 5% to my ferric
oxalate solutions. In other words, I mix the basic ferric oxalate
solution form powder (I am currently using the Artcraft version), and
after mixture add about 5% oxalic acid on a weight to volume basis. I
did test the addition of oxalic acid over a fairly wide range, from
slightly in excess up to about 10% in excess, but all that really
seems to matter is that it be slightly in excess. Certainly more than
5% is pointless. I did not, however, test the pH of the ferric
oxalate during those tests.

I apologize for the confusing comment.

Sandy