RE: Learning a new process-reply

From: Etienne Garbaux ^lt;photographeur@softhome.net>
Date: 08/14/05-10:44:50 PM Z

Bob wrote:

> There are several books out there you would find very helpful
> but my first choice for you would be, "Keepers of Light."

> I used to start my students with cyanotype for many reasons.

I second Bob's advice wholeheartedly. I have not seen several of the more
recent alt-process books, so won't venture any opinion on which book is
"best." But Keepers, for all of its little faults, was, by itself, enough
to get me up and running in the alt processes lo these decades ago, and I'm
confident it can do the same for others.

As far as cyanotypoe goes, it is clearly the preferred starter process for
anyone doing a systematic study, for all the reasons Bob gave. You will
learn the skills required for most of the alt processes (gum, carbon, and
bromoil notably excepted), and when you can make a truly good cyanotype
most every time you will be ready to add the additional variables of the
other processes.

One point that Bob touched on could use some elaboration. Much art paper
these days is made alkaline to neutralize any acid that might be generated
by the decomposition of lignins in the paper. This alkalinity will also
attack cyanotype images. Thus, if there is any question about whether the
paper you choose is alkaline, soak it for a few minutes in a dilute acid
solution followed by a thorough water rinse before you coat it. I have
used 2% sulfuric, 2% hydrochloric, and 5% citric acid baths with good
success, and generally do the last rinse in distilled water. If you then
put the paper on a larger sheet of plate glass, squeegee it off, and tape
all four edges down with gummed paper (not self-adhesive) packing tape, it
will dry flat and taut as a drumhead, ready for coating. [I generally do
not dry to completion, but coat when the paper is "just so" dry -- still a
little damp -- because I find that this tends to keep the sensitive coating
more on the surface, which I prefer. Of course, this adds another variable
and is probably not recommended for beginners.]

Best regards,

etienne