Possibly the silliest Gum question ever!

From: davidhatton@superonline.com
Date: 08/15/05-06:59:12 AM Z
Hi,
I recently purchased some 'Talbot' paper from Ruscombe Mill in France to try for gum printing. I must say it is very nice to look at, stroke etc., and is a nice crisp white.This is a tub gelatine sized paper specifically made for Alt processes (not Pt/Pd).I took one sheet and soaked it
In for a while in warm water ( I can't give an exact time 'cos I lost the bath plug - it's a long story. Anyway, when I took the paper out of the water it had a distinct slimy/slippery feel to it which I took to be the softened gelatine. I then had a blinding flash of constipation! Why can't I just soak the paper in formaldehyde to harden the existing gelatine followed by a soak to shrink afterwards? That is my question to youz guyz. Has anyone ever tried it or am I maiising something blindingly obvious?
Regards

David H