Re: photogravure

From: Bob Maxey ^lt;written_by@msn.com>
Date: 08/16/05-08:57:09 PM Z

>>>Sorry to sound curt. I just get a bit rankled with chemophobics and I don't
include you in that group. Since gum printers are working with
concentrations 2 to 4 times that of gravurists I am wondering how many are
wearing hoods. You wear a hood to protect from vapors. Chromium solutions do
not vaporize so I am puzzled. The ferric chloride does give off some very
slight hcl fumes but that is not a huge problem. I daresay the gasoline
vapors from fueling ones car put you at far greater risk.>>>

I use ferric chloride perhaps three times a week. Not for gravure or a photographic process; although I am creating images. I am well versed on the safety of FeCL3. OSHA currently does not regulate it as toxic or hazardous, according to the MSDS information.

I absolutely agree with the esteemed Mr. Sullivan and his view of FeCL3. Ferric chloride is a rather innocuous chemical when you compare it to other chemicals.

Bob
.. Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com