Re: GUM PRINTING QUESTION

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 08/17/05-03:56:37 AM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

> This yellow stain, after being
> > developed half an hour and dried, did turn brown when placed outdoors
> > half covered; the yellow was completely replaced with tan/brown in less
> > than an hour. While there was no direct sun, there was enough UV to
> > create a brown dichromate stain within two minutes on a (separate) sheet
> > of paper coated with dichromated gum, that I placed beside the other one
> > for a rough test of the available UV.
> >

> It's worth, I think, making a special note of the fact that the
> dichromate that's trapped in this yellow stain doesn't work as fast as
> active dichromate in a gum-dichromate coating, as shown in the above
> observation that it took an hour for the yellow dichromate stain to turn
> brown in diffuse UV but only a minute or two for the gum-dichromate
> coating to turn brown.

Which probably explains the otherwise puzzling fact that this stain
remains untouched by the UV in a normal gum printing exposure; that is
it keeps its bright yellow color through a usual printing exposure,
even though the dichromate that remains free in the coating (not trapped
as stain) behaves normally and creates a completely normal print on
top of the yellow- stained sizing. Somehow the trapped dichromate
reacts much more slowly than the dichromate that's not part of the
stain; I certainly don't have the time, the equipment, the knowhow, or
the inclination to find out why that might be the case, but it's an
interesting question.

Katharine