Re: Question about NuArc 26-1K

From: John Cremati ^lt;johnjohnc@core.com>
Date: 08/17/05-05:28:48 PM Z

       Hi Sandy,
       All I can offer is what little I know and for the most part is
speculation .....
       I have a 26-1K as well as a few other different brand units..... I
do not use the Nuarc but had some plans to build a UV enlarger with it
using the head as the enlargers light source.............. So to me this
news is very disappointing........
       The only thing it could be is that the bulb when heated over a
specified time period gives off more UV output at a greater intensity as
more mercury vaporizes......... The NuArc units do not have a shutter
mechanism plus the integrators may not be that sensitive to measure the UV
intensity.... I have noticed that NuArc cuts corners on all their
equipment where ever possible from everything from their lenses to their
cabinetry... I would not be surprise if their integrator circuitry as well
as their transformers follow suite, ................
         I think comparatively speaking , NuArc is second rate to a Olec ,
Ascore, or DooLith ...............If you compare a NuArc to a lets say a
Olec unit you will find the there is quite a difference..... A Olec or
Ascore unit have shutters in them that will not open till the bulb has
reached a certain temperature or UV output.......... I do not think any
serious established print shop would have been using NuArc equipment
         The units are designed for plate making which is a little different
than making multiple prints......You will probably have to adjust your
program timing to compensate for what you have discovered..........
My 2 bits......
John Cremati.