Re: usage [wasRE: photogravure veryOff topic]

From: SteveS ^lt;sgshiya@redshift.com>
Date: 08/18/05-07:35:07 PM Z

-- snip --
> I'm writing to say that in this my dear Sir or Madam, as the case may be,
> you can "think" as you like, but you are quite wrong. A philologist or
> language historian could cite MANY changes in usage

-- snip --

I'M Writing to say: the philogists today, in the form of our Society of
English Editors and Editors of the English Language, yes -- the very same
folks who brought you the protest over Borroughs' Guggenheim publication
"Cobblestone Gardens" for its incomplete sentences -- in an article in
Verbatum the magazine of philogists declared that 'for the English language
in the face of politically correct usage complexities the third person
pronoun will now be used as in romanic languages as a second person neutral
gendered reference.'

In my kind of language, that means the word 'they' will now replace thge
idiotic 'he or she' in phrases of generalization. IE The editors of the
magazine had chosen my article, and they will pay me with a checque.
Instead of: The editors of the magazine had chosen my article, and he or she
will pay me with a check.

So, you notice something?

S. Shapiro