Re: usage [wasRE: photogravure veryOff topic]

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 08/18/05-07:52:35 PM Z

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, SteveS wrote:

> In my kind of language, that means the word 'they' will now replace thge
> idiotic 'he or she' in phrases of generalization. IE The editors of the
> magazine had chosen my article, and they will pay me with a checque. Instead
> of: The editors of the magazine had chosen my article, and he or she will pay
> me with a check.
>
> So, you notice something?

Your example is puzzling, Steve.

If the subject of the sentence is "editors" in the plural you would say
"they" in any event. Some folks say "s/he" when it's singular, & I have no
problem with that. If memory serves, however, the Oxford English
dictionary or one of those authorities, permitted "they" for the singular
instead of "he" some 10 or so years back. If that's what you're telling
us... an *excellent* example !

J.