Re: usage [wasRE: photogravure veryOff topic]

From: SteveS ^lt;sgshiya@redshift.com>
Date: 08/19/05-02:13:48 AM Z

The point was, in English third person pronouns are neutral. They are Not
gender specific. But this can be singular, now as in the romance languages.

The English language uses that as a collective pronoun, and until around
1973 usage was lost as the collective pronoun to be used as a singular non
gender specific pronoun. It was always in our language, but never important
enough to become commonly understood.

At this time, we still have that term for electronic photography termed as
'digital.' And to find an antonym we say 'analogue.' But, one day that
might change, because the electronics of fiber-chip technology is not a
digital experience, and the wet lab is not an analogue of the electronic
photography.

I don't even know how the Dutch come up with enough for eenuff!? Ghish
isn't fish! And Gishas don't ride bicycles . . . unless a member of this
list can show us a picture of a Gisha on a bicycle, when it comes to digital
I'm using my fingers.

S.