RE: Sources for wet plate collodion chemicals

From: Kerik ^lt;kerik@kerik.com>
Date: 08/28/05-10:37:01 AM Z

Richard,

The brightening is in reference to a positive collodion image - tintype or
ambrotype. Positives fixed in hypo tend to have a more muted look compared
to those done in cyanide. Cyanide also gives a warmer "coffee and cream"
tone compared to hypo, which produces a more neutral image. And yes,
excessive fixing in cyanide will erode the image. Cyanide fixing typically
takes 10 or 20 seconds.

I'm still relatively new to the collodion process. I've not tried ammonium
thiosulfate, but I appreciate your comment and will test it.

Kerik