Re: Tiny Bubbles In The ... Gum

From: Dave Rose ^lt;cactuscowboy@bresnan.net>
Date: 08/28/05-06:31:42 PM Z

I use a 3" Hake brush to apply gum emulsion to paper.

See a picture of a Hake brush here:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz054/03/

I put the emulsion in a square tupperware container. Get the brush good and
wet and rapidly apply emulsion in an up/down pattern. Then I quickly go
side to side. Then I take the second (dry) Hake brush and very lightly skim
the surface, to brush out irregularities and bubbles. The trick is to do it
very fast, especially in a desert climate, like here in Wyoming.

This method works very well, even on larger prints to 16x20". I've never
used a foam brush, hog's hair brush or coating rod, so I can't say that what
you're doing is wrong.

I'd use 10ml emulsion for an 8x10. That should be plenty.

Best regards from Big Wonderful Wyoming
Dave Rose
http://www.alternativephotography.com/artists/dave_rose.html