Re: Tiny Bubbles In The ... Gum

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 08/29/05-07:55:31 PM Z

Tom Ferguson wrote:

> A few thoughts:
>
> Amount of solution: I use 4ml of final mix per 100 square inches on
> coated paper. So, if you are coating a 10x12 inch area for an 8x10 neg,
> that is 120 square inches or about 5ml of solution. Quite a difference
> from David Roe (who uses 10ml). That seems to be the way of gum!

Yes, I was thinking that this discussion sure illustrates the lack of
consensus among gum printers about anything!

During a period when I was making prints that looked barely breathed
onto the paper (one person tiptoed into the gallery at an opening of a
show of some of these prints, whispering "It's like walking into
clouds!") I laid down very thin layers of gum with a varnish brush; when
I was working on that work, I could print 6-8 large prints with 5 ml of
emulsion. An example of this work:

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/surf.html

But with most of my work, I use a hake and put down a usual layer of
gum, and make two 8x10s or so with 5 ml of solution. So I guess my
answer to this would be.... it depends.
Katharine