Re: (Gum) Tonal scale

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/04/05-09:43:38 AM Z

On Dec 3, 2005, at 12:44 PM, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> When I was producing unpigmented hardened gum for analysis, I
> thought maybe I could speed up the process and get more hardened gum
> per sheet by exposing it more, under the hypothesis that more exposure
> might produce more hardened gum, but what I found was that once the
> gum is hardened the way I usually print it, more exposure just
> produced stain and then more stain, without producing any more gum.

This observation was confirmed in the lab by Duncalf & Dunn, who found
in their experiments with dichromated PVA film, that after 4 minutes of
exposure the film was completely insoluble, at which point 58% of the
dichromate had been reduced. After that point, continued exposure
produced further reduction of chromium without adding to the
insolubility of the film. After 10 minutes, 66% of the dichromate had
been reduced, and after 120 minutes 80% of it had been reduced.
kt