Re: Sistan Formula

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 12/10/05-03:10:14 PM Z

From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Sistan Formula
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:55:21 -0800

> My understanding is that Sistan and Ag-Guard are
> effective but less so than a polysulfide toner like Kodak
> Brown Toner, do you agree? If so perhaps the use of the
> toner is a better alternative than attempting to make a home
> made version of Sistan.

Sulfiding toners (such as polysulfide toners) are highly effective,
but these may be a bit difficult to use for non-developed out silver
based processes without severely affecting hue and tonality. Ag Guard
is far easier to use, and it is also a lot closer to WYSIWYG basis.

In my experience of using various polysulfide toners, it is very
important to know very closely the paper emulsion, the paper
developer, and the toner as a combination, in order to use the toner
to achieve desired visual effects.

I have recently developed a very rapid acting (at room temperature),
reduced odor polysulfide toner and I primarily use this toner, but it
still has the offensive odor and I wouldn't use it without adequate
ventilation.