Re: Paper Negatives - a start

From: Christopher Wright ^lt;cwrigh2@twcny.rr.com>
Date: 12/13/05-10:21:33 AM Z

<<Hoping this will open up a whole new field of interest. There are
other ways of making paper negatives for which, I feel sure, others
on this list will readily provide information. >>

Hello Yves and John,

        Thanks for bringing up the question of paper negatives and
for opening up the discussion.
For the past several years I have been studying how photographs were
made during the time of Calotypy (1840-60). During this period, the
earliest years of Photography, pictures were made either on polished
silver-coated copper plates, or on high-quality drawing paper. The
first process, the Daguerreotype, was given to the world freely as a
gift of the French government and saw great popularity in the United
States. The second process is the basis for the negative-positive
process we have used until recently: first, the "calotype," or
"Talbottype," the negative form which was patented for its first
decade by its inventor, keeping its use from the general public.
Nonetheless, French artists obtained instructions and immediately
began making substantial improvements including one of the most
important: Gustave LeGray's dry waxed paper process. The second part
of the process, the positive, began with the simple salted paper
print, developing through a number of metallic toners and coatings,
to the current stock of rag paper- and plastic sheeting-based silver
gelatin materials.
        It is the Calotype (paper negative) process that I have been
working in for several years.
        Effects from the soft-focus of Pictorialism to the glass
plate sharpness of Le Mission Heliographique are available using the
Calotype process.
        I would be delighted if this important historic process were discussed.

Christopher Wright/
        www.visionsinsilver.com