Re: Rethinking pigment stain

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 12/14/05-09:08:15 AM Z

Right on, Tom,

fog = global insolubilization of the gum layer...

I'll add to your list one thing they used to say but I have never found to
be true is they used to say certain pigments produced as they termed it
"spontaneous insolubilization of the gum".

I could say that when I was doing 8 large gums at once down in South
Carolina where the humidity was higher, the last print to go into the water
would take longer development to remove nonimage "fog". Fog, up to a
certain point in gum practice, usually doesn't make too much difference
because it is removable, unlike silver gelatin.

Does this fog, then, form an umbrella over the two terms of "dark reaction"
and "continuing action"? Because both result in global, non-image
insolubilization. In other words, back in "the day" (1800's-1900's) they
didn't term it fog in the first place but used these two terms to describe
this global insolubilization.
chris