Re: Rethinking pigment stain

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 12/14/05-10:25:14 AM Z

Jack, et. al.,

Works for me...

I just wish I had a clue as to what was causing the shift. I wonder how
many past prints I tossed because somewhere in the sequence of printing
a multilayer gum I inadvertantly introduced this reversal shift and
later thought it was an inexplicable random effect, that I didn't live
right, or was a bad person, etc. Glad to clear that all up.

I'll be vary wary of using any black or neutral tint until I test it for
this effect.

Joe
___

>>> jack@jackbrubaker.com 12/14/05 10:53 AM >>>
Joe,

I think your definitions of fog and stain make sense in gum and are
consistent in other media. I agree we need a term for the effect you
describe below. How about calling it what it does (since we don't know
what
it is caused by). Using your words, "reversal shift" would seem to be a
clear enough term for what is apparently a uniquely gum problem. Or
perhaps
"gum reversal shift" to make clear that it is just for gum.

Jack