Re: Rethinking pigment stain

From: Tom Sobota ^lt;tsobota@teleline.es>
Date: 12/14/05-03:36:23 PM Z

I was commenting on Dave's opinion that '"fog" is a misleading term',
which implies that we pretty much _don't_ all agree on what fog is.

As my use of "global insolubilization", it means the following:

"global" because it happens through the whole gum layer. Other
applicable term would have been 'uniform' but this implies a
distribution. As Yves well observes, fog could be equated with
noise, but I don't think that at this point we know its distribution.
Probably white noise, but again, who knows. That's why I use
'global'.

"insolubilization" because what we observe is that the gum layer
is at some point more or less soluble in water. Whether
this loss of solubility is due to a crosslinking of the gum
macromolecules or if other electrochemical forces are also active is
conceptually irrelevant at this level of observation.

This is the term I prefer, but I'm not imposing it upon anyone,
so if you want to say "inadvertent (meaning non image-related)
formation of crosslinked gum" instead of "global insolubilization",
that's just fine with me. I would only object on the use of 'inadvertent'
as a synonymy for 'not image-forming'. But hey ...

Again, whether fog happens more or less frequently in actual
practice is not an impediment for having a definition for it, in my
opinion.

Tom Sobota
Madrid, Spain