Re: Image formation in gum - Glue and Glass

From: Bob Maxey ^lt;written_by@msn.com>
Date: 12/16/05-04:02:47 AM Z

This warning might not apply to anyone applying most emulsion types to most glass surfaces. However, let me tell you that there is a slight potential problem one must be aware of. Again, it will likely never happen, but who knows.

Some of you make all sorts of emulsions, using all sorts of materials. One binder that I seriously doubt anyone uses is animal hide glue; although I have seen this type of glue mentioned in old specialty sensitizer formulas. I would never use it because it is a rather strange adhesive, with rather strange properties.

This type of glue is used for a process called "glue chipping" and what happens is after the surface of the glass is abraded, the glue is applied. As the glue dries, it contracts, and since it holds on tight, it rips tiny pieces of glass from the surface as it dries and contracts. Some glue chippers have experienced plate glass explosions.

It is a time honored decorative glass working process and to be clear, I am not aware of too many problems. However, it can affect perhaps a tiny number of bold experimenters on the list.

When large surfaces are being glue chipped, the glass can shatter and this is or can be quite dangerous. If you use old glass, it might be scratched and therefore, it MIGHT lead to problems.

Again, likely not an issue with most people on this list.

Bob
..

 Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msncom