Re: Image formation in gum

From: Tom Sobota ^lt;tsobota@teleline.es>
Date: 12/17/05-02:35:04 PM Z

I'm also glad that you found this new example, since that is what I see in
my test: soot, as you say, but soot imbedded in a very thin matrix of hardened
gum. It can be removed rubbing with something but without having to scrape
it with a knife. But, mind you, this layer is very thin and cannot be seen with
the naked eye. Even with a binocular loupe this layer is difficult to separate
visually from the glass.

Yesterday I was somewhat surprised with your observation that the image was
just carbon black sitting on the glass. That implied all the gum
dissolving around
the pigment particles without carrying it along? A layer of particles
of pigment
sedimented on the glass and attracted to it electrostatically?
Possible, but not in
my case.

But I agree with you that it _is_ a great looking image. Even if as
it is it's not too
strongly adherent, perhaps you could attempt to fix it with some fixing spray,
egg white, or a coat of gelatin, no?

Tom Sobota
Madrid, Spain