Re: Sizing paper with gum and dichromate

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 12/20/05-10:06:09 AM Z

Good morning,

I'm late on replying to this post but so it goes at Christmas...

My problem with sizing with gum is this: in order to get the layer hard
enough to be a suitable size, there will be some discoloration with the
dichromate that stays in and discolors the whites, in my practice. So by
experience I agree with kees. If I didn't harden to the point of
discoloration the layer was too soft. I tried clearing with pot metabi but
that whole procedure seemed like so much more work than just biting the
bullet and brushing on a hardened gelatin size (e.g. two separate wet and
dry cycles). Even so, the layer did not prevent staining.

But I would assume somewhere someone out there has luck with this method who
is perhaps using lighter pigment loads, although my assumption is also that
since this method, quoted in the books long ago, never caught on as primary
practice means it just isn't as good as a plain old hardened gelatin size.
You know what they say about "assume", though...
Chris

Probably a much short time will be enough then. But maybe
the break even point of hardening enough before the staining starts
doesn't even exists.
kees