Re: Image formation in gum (2)

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/21/05-12:20:17 AM Z

Tom, most of this just looks like pigment stain to me. One thing you
may have misunderstood: while I have been proposing to define tonal
inversion as a special case of pigment stain, that certainly isn't to
say that I think tonal inversion is the only way that pigment stain can
present itself. Pigment stain can manifest as speckles, as a light
color cast on an otherwise well-toned gum image, as brushmarks across a
gum image, as a heavy pigment layer that completely obscures a gum
image, and everything in between, as well as this tonal inversion
thing. I think you've shown several different ways that pigment stain
can look, but that's all that I see here.

The things you showed the other day were examples of tonal inversion,
which is what I thought we were talking about, but there is almost no
sign of that here, except for the one place where the pigmented gum
either floated or dissolved off steps 20 and 21, forming a resist that
kept the pigment stain from depositing on the numbers, which are the
most exposed areas on all steps but the first one. This is exactly as I
described on my page I showed a couple of days ago, showing the tonal
inversion on paper. But except for that one small thing, what you're
showing here looks to me just like normal gum images (meaning
normally-toned rather than inversely-toned) except for being heavily
pigment-stained (in the ordinary sense of how pigment stain normally
appears and behaves on a normally-toned gum print that's
pigment-stained, which is a different issue than how pigment stain
appears and behaves when it presents as tonal inversion).

The fact that exposing for different times pushes the tones up and down
the step tablet doesn't change the fact that the tones are the same, no
matter where they appear on the tablet, (a particular pigment at a
particular concentration will print with the same tones, as long as it
is sufficiently exposed; exposing it longer will just block more lower
steps and push the discernable steps farther up the tablet, but the
tones printed will be the same tones no matter where they fall on the
tablet) and the tone of pigment stain, the tone that's left by the
deposit of excess pigment in unexposed areas, will be the same whether
the coating is exposed or not exposed.

What I don't understand is why the letters at the top of the step
tablet printed white (with pigment stain of course) if the glass was
painted black and if, as you seem to be claiming, the letters are
printed in gum (which, BTW, I don't see at all). The numbers on the
steps are printing in gum, and they are printing black. If the letters
and numbers on top were printing in gum, they should be printing
black, not white. If they were printing normally (not reversed) they
should print in negative space, meaning no gum. Is the appearance that
the letters are printing white simply an optical illusion?

I think we're going in circles; I don't think you're understanding what
I'm saying, and I don't think you're demonstrating what you seem to
think you're demonstrating, which now that we're not talking about
tonal inversion any more, I'm not sure any more what it is that you're
arguing that you're demonstrating. Whatever it is you think you're
demonstrating, what I'm seeing is pigment stain.

Katharine