Re: Plane of Sharp Focus

From: Kai Hamann ^lt;kaihamann@t-online.de>
Date: 12/25/05-12:18:40 PM Z

Hi John,

yes, a real soft focus lens is a mighty tool, love it =:)

I have only one real soft focus lens, aside some beeing nearly SF, like from Angenieux. That one is an ISCO lens from the 1960s or 1970s, that Iīve bought from the used camera bargain desk of a photo store. Maybe they didnīt see what they had got there. Or they knew that it needs a connoisseur to sell such a lens to. A lens and film developer told me that he doesnīt know any soft focus design from that company, but well, it is a soft focus lens. After some tests I think that if one likes the pictoralists view on the world SF lenses are even better than shooting with a pinhole camera -- there is a great difference between a unsharp focus, photographing with a small depth of field and a soft focus lens with itīs sharp focus and soft imaging outside the plane of critical focus.

Cooke has built a highly praised SF lens in the recent years and the effect is pretty good visible in the photos in the related test reports like http://www.cookeoptics.com/cooke.nsf/attachments/ps945pdf/$FILE/Cooke%20PS945%20v1.4.pdf.

All the best and a Merry Christmas to all of you
  Kai