Re: varnishes for alt and the elusive soehnee

From: Mark MacKenzie ^lt;m.mackenzie@sasktel.net>
Date: 12/28/05-12:18:40 PM Z

Hello. This thread is fantastic!!! Pardon my blundering in at this
moment. I am an art conservator returning to my large format
photography roots and in particular to the alt processes.

I have never heard of the elusive vernis "soehnee" but am fascinated as
of this moment.

I can begin to guess what some of the "physical style and presentation"
attributes may have been.

I have been interested in historic varnish and surface coatings from an
investigative but mainly from a formulating point of view for a very
long time.

If I might suggest a thought to keep in mind while prosecuting this
search. The term copal when applied to a varnish or "vernis" is often a
red herring. On the one had it was stated as referring to a hard resin
component sometimes from a so called "fossilized" source such as amber
(found in at least two of the attached recipes). In this usage a copal
vernis was supposed to be hard surfaced and hard wearing but will darken
horribly, crack and crizzle. The early formulators often confused
materials. I do not know if this is the case here. The other end of
the spectrum it referred to a resinous tree sap exudate. As an aside I
brought some back from Peru where it was available in the market place
next to
the dyes and pigments. The mentioned collophony and Canada balsam are
members of this end of the spectrum.

I would also suggest:
a. Copal resins in general are not suitable for fine art purposes
because of darkening, age hardening, changing solubility parameters, etc.
b. The formulae listed mix various vital areas: solvent loss curing
(alcohol (fast), turpentine (slow)); drying through cross-linking
(linseed oil); brush and flow out modifiers such as some of the
essential oils; external plasticizing (Castor oil, benzoin); hard and
soft resins (sandarac, gamboge, dragon's blood, gum elemi); dyes and
colourants(dragon's blood, turmeric, saffron, annato) and strange brew
emulsions which will have never ending drying problems (shellac and
borax with water).

As I am fascinated by this thread but lack knowledge of original uses I
will begin researching but if any of you kind souls would care to send
some references my way I would thank you.

If I might make another guess. Do people have an idea of what the
finished results were after applying such a varnish or coating? Maybe
we can reverse engineer? Who is currently working in this area and
might wish collaboration?

I am equipped in my conservation laboratory to do small scale
manufacture, testing and coating..

Regards and sorry to interject at such length.

Mark MacKenzie, M.A.C.