Re: Autoclaving gum and gelatin

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 02/02/05-10:34:28 PM Z

From: Sandy King <sanking@clemson.edu>
Subject: Re: Autoclaving gum and gelatin
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 23:14:19 -0500

> Well, deja vu all over again. I thought we had
> put this puppy to rest with previous discussions.

100% agreed.

> My experience is that raising the temperature of
> a gelatin solution to 140º F for a relatively
> short period of time (say two hours or less) does
> not break it down.

I routinely heat gelatin solution to 70C (160F) for about two hours
total in two cycles, but gelatin is perfectly capable of gelling.

> However, if one were to keep
> the temperature of the gelatin at 140º F or
> higher for a long period of time (four hours or
> more) , or go through several cycles of heating
> and cooling the solution, it will break down.

I also heat pig feet, tails, etc. as well as other gelatin rich parts
in water to 120C at 2 atm for 1 to 3 hours. They size my belly very
well and the solution makes stiff jelly, when refrigerated.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"People seldom do what they believe in.  They do what is convenient,