Re: Autoclaving gum and gelatin

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 02/05/05-01:58:56 AM Z

From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
Subject: Re: Autoclaving gum and gelatin
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:36:02 -0500 (EST)

> I suppose I should have known that mentioning a particular temperature
> would get me "corrected." But if you recall I was replying to a question
> about AUTOCLAVING, which the gentleman said involved heating the gelatin
> via overpressurized steam to bring solutions or objects to or even above
> 120 centigrade... That's well beyond boiling -- and for a duration of
> time.

Did you read my response to Sandy?

I routinely heat gelatinous pig feet, tail and shoulder at 120C at 2
atomospheric pressure but gelatins extracted from those pieces are
still delicious and taste like gelatin. By then, the skin, connective
tissue, muscle fibers and the cartilage and tendons are very soft and
there is no need for a knife (unlike smoked pig feet, which is also
delicious). And the leftover makes very stiff jelly in fridge.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"People seldom do what they believe in.  They do what is convenient,