Re: Autoclaving gum and gelatin

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 02/08/05-09:15:17 AM Z

From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
Subject: Re: Autoclaving gum and gelatin
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 02:26:55 -0500 (EST)

> I prefer to simply warn them (and others) about heating the gelatin
> above 140 F. Something along the lines of my earlier exegesis Ryuji
> so kindly posted today. I have found that, barring inattention and
> hexed hot & cold water lines, it generally does the trick.

Huh? I requested you to explain your statement that heating gelatin
above 140F "breaking down" the gelatin never happened before. After a
couple of months, all of sudden, gelatin heated above 140F now "breaks
down" and you argue you gained this knowledge through 14 years of
teaching experience. How convenient.

Practicing such a greatly mystifiable gum dichromate process does not
make you immune from criticism when making a wild argument out of
casual observations from such sloppily controlled trials. It is
especially so when the argument is inconsistent with existing
knowledge in chemistry literature, and when the argument is
inconsistent with the earlier statement of your own with no good
explanation.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Well, believing is all right, just don't let the wrong people know