Re: Adhesion

From: MARTINM ^lt;martinm@SoftHome.net>
Date: 02/13/05-05:25:32 AM Z

> It seems to me that silane, for example, would help stick the wet
> coating to the glass if that were the problem, but would it really help
> with the more important problem of keeping the crosslinked gum on the
> surface?. Is silane something that a person can get a small amount of,
> and has anyone actually used this to print gum on glass or other hard
> surfaces?

Yes, I expect "silane" to work in such a case. Note there is a large
variety of different kinds of "silanes". Take a look at:
http://www.powerchemical.net/index.htm
You may pay special attention on "silane coupling agents".

"Silane coupling agents belong to a class of organosilane compounds having
at least two reactive groups of different types bonded to the silicon atom
in a molecule. One of the reactive groups of different types (ex. methoxy,
ethoxy and silanolic hydroxy groups) is reactive with various inorganic
materials such as glass, metals, silica sand and the like to form a chemical
bond with the surface of the inorganic material while the other of the
reactive groups (ex, vinyl, epoxy, methacryl, amino and mercapto groups) is
reactive with various kinds of organic materials or synthetic resins to form
a chemical bond.
As a result of possessing these two types of reactive groups, silane
coupling agents are capable of providing chemical bonding between an organic
material and an inorganic
material."(http://www.micchem.com/products/SilaneCouplingAgents.htm)

I am not sure whether the 3-aminopropyltriethoxysilane is the best silane to
use when dealing with gum arabic solutions. 3-aminopropyltriethoxysilane
used to be the standard agent to promote gelatin (silver-halide emulsions)
adhesion on glass.
Prior to the introduction of silanes, glass subbing had also been done with
sodium/potassium silicate (water glass). By the way, temperature was said to
play a crucial part when coating gelatin on glass. 50°C was considered about
the upper limit.

Martin