Re: Correction !: ULF lens wanted-cirkuts

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 02/16/05-08:51:20 AM Z

-----Original Message-----
From: Jamie Young <jamiehy@tds.net>
Sent: Feb 16, 2005 6:32 AM
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Subject: Re: Correction !: ULF lens wanted-cirkuts

Cirkut cameras are a lot of fun to use but are also the most
challenging cameras I've ever used too. I started out with a 8"
camera, shooting negs up to 6 feet long. and thought that was large and
hard to handle. I then bought a 10" camera which I've shot up to 8 plus
foot negs. That made the 8" by 6' negs seem small. After a while I
ended up with a 16" camera that could shoot negs up to 18' long, though
I'm only set up to do up to 10'. I made my own trays, print
frames,etc. A lot of work and fun. I like woodworking and do a (very)
little metal working as well. I've found the view that a cirkut camera
gives is unique , allowing one to choose the horizontal cropping, as
the cirkut allows view over 360 degrees, depending on film length
available. My 16" camera has a 15-24-36 t-r convertible, and being in
the midwest, I tend to use the 36" element the most. I had the 36"
element measured and found the actual focal length to be about 33", but
that's as long as the gear head allows, and only above a 60 foot focus
point.
I've done mostly van dyke prints with the larger negs, and have started
doing cyanotypes and then tea toning them. it a lot of fun. I'll try
to update my web site with cirkut stuff at some point soon, but there
are a few examples up right now.
http://www.jamieyoungphoto.com/cirkutmain.html
Jamie Young