Re: Adhesion

From: Etienne Garbaux ^lt;photographeur@softhome.net>
Date: 02/17/05-05:04:34 PM Z

> Katharine wrote:
>
> My first question would be: how would the silane know to adhere the gum
> to the glass only in the exposed areas and not in the unexposed areas?
>
> Or another way of asking the same question: can the silane distinguish
> between crosslinked gum and non-crosslinked gum, and adhere only the
> crosslinked gum to the glass while releasing the non-crosslinked gum?
> This is what would have to happen for the silane to be an effective
> adhesive agent for the crosslinked gum image; I'd be interested to
> understand by what mechanism the silanes would be able to make this
> distinction?

It is possible that some particular subbing molecule could be -philic for
crosslinked gum and -phobic for non-crosslinked, but that would probably
not be the real-world case. More likely, it would bind a molecular layer
of gum to the glass. Only where the gum was crosslinked would it build any
macro thickness.

I don't recall if you were discussing subbing the glass with silane or
mixing silane into the gum. Even if you mixed it into the gum, it
shouldn't alter the prediction above -- silane may prove able to stick gum
to glass, but it shouldn't stick gum to gum.

Of course, this all assumes that silane intermediates glass and gum in the
first place. I have no idea if it does or not.

best regards,

etienne