Re: Cyanotype blotches

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 02/17/05-08:48:59 PM Z

Michael,

I gather that you're beginning cyano with the Ware formula...which is
about 50,000 times trickier than plain old cyano... and unless you have
some specific need or goal, might not be the best entry.

My experience is only with regular or "classic" cyano, but tho that takes
well to most paper, it doesn't really like Rives BFK. BFK cyano doesn't
give the fine detail cyano is capable of, and tends to white flecks
(probably from paper fibers). Another point worth mentioning is that heat
drying the emulsion is a big variable in exposure -- both speed and range.
Your note that you only saw 5 steps also seems odd... Classic cyano
usually does 8 steps -- and, if memory serves, the Ware cyano has an even
longer scale.

As for the blotches, I didn't understand the explanation you came up with,
but I thought also it could be contamination (to cyanotype) on the belt.
It's been accepted that the Ware formula is goosier contamination-wise
than the old, which may compound such problems.

Judy