Adhesion: (was Re: Dots of gum?

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 02/19/05-12:55:16 PM Z

Etiene Garbaux wrote (Sun Feb 13)

> On the topic of chemical tooth: chemical tooth is a molecular effect.
> Very simply, good subs are molecules which have one end with an affinity
> for the support and the other with an affinity for whatever you want to
> adhere to the support. This can work excellently, and solves some thorny
> industrial problems. However, because the chemical tooth is only a
> molecule deep, I do not believe it could "reach through" the thickness of a
> gum layer to adhere the hardened gum away from the support if there were
> still soluble gum in between. So it might be a boon in conjunction with
> either of my suggestions above, but probably won't be a viable solution for
> any "support one surface and expose the other one" system.

Well, I'm still trying to figure this out. I've finally got the part
about the bonded layer being one molecule thick, although I'm still not
sure how that would work in the case someone suggested, of mixing the
silane with the gum and just coating and exposing. Sorry to be so dense;
I've been on Vicodin all week and am a bit foggy.

So okay, you would use the silane as a sub, and then you'd coat the gum
on the dried silane and expose it?
Katharine