RE: Crappy/Krappy

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 01/02/05-02:51:08 PM Z

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, Schuyler Grace wrote:

> ... If you're
> not in control (for the most part), are you really creating something,
> yourself, or are you just setting events into motion?

What wrong with setting events in motion -- especially if they're
delicious? Art is not about control, it's about ideas and vision...
There's a whole school of serious art called Process Art (among others),
for instance slices of bread in warm water to grow mold. I can no more
direct that mold than I can exactly repeat it, and why should I? It's the
event, the concept, the happening that matters.. All art owes a great debt
to accidents, aberrations and discovery. And if anyone out there still has
to be convinced that photography is real art -- do we need them? Should
they control our vision?

Control is certainly necessary for some processes, especially bodily
processes, And some kinds of photography obviously require it. But others
don't. It's a tool, among many others -- not a commandment.

Judy