Re: You Say Krappy, I Say Dead

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 01/11/05-12:07:51 AM Z

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Charlie Goodwin wrote:

> I'm not sure that they necessarily have technology as their nominal
> subject Regardless, I see the search for technical excellence best
> pursued as a means, not an end.

You raise a point I found both in my students and myself... At the
beginning of a semester students were often as not appalled by, or at best
indifferent to the technical aspects of what lay ahead, often as a
required (and resisted) course. When they saw that those technical means
COULD DO SOMETHING FOR THEIR OWN ART, SOMETHING SPECIAL, I might add, they
often would totally catch on fire & be more catholic so to speak than the
pope.

I remember also scolding my brother when he dismissed his daughter's early
camera efforts with "she's not the f-stop type." I explained that when a
newby finds something f-stoppish or otherwise technical that can do
something they very much want or need FOR THEIR OWN ART, they become that
type.

Whether it works the other way around, I'm not so sure -- that is, whether
a techy can become an artist by looking for a picture to slap his/her
technical desires onto.... I dunno.

Judy