RE: Help with gum pritns on black paper with white Gouache.

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 01/13/05-08:02:46 AM Z

Another option may be to use black acrylic gesso to coat a normal
watercolor paper before printing with white pigments.

I experimented a couple months ago with (Alexander the PBS
fire-it-in-happy-tree painter) black gesso diluted 1+2 with water and it
showed promise before I got sidetracked with other things. I was
printing using DaVinci titanium white watercolor pigment mixed with some
funky Daniel Smith interference colors and mica shimmering pigments.
The attenuator was a digital positive on Pictorico OHP printed using an
Epson 2200. The initial effect was pretty contrasty but I think could
be refined to bring out the midtones.

Joe

>>> loris_medici@mynet.com 01/13/05 8:30 AM >>>

Hi Carmen,

Do you know the pigment in paint the you use? I recall white paints with
Zinc Oxide won't let UV light pass through them - maybe you should try a
more expensive Titanium White paint. Please bear in mind that I never
tried gum over black paper - this is just what came into my mind reading
your question. And of course paper itself may be causing the problem
too...

Regards,
Loris.