Re: Move to synthetic materials (from versatile surfactant_

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 01/17/05-09:02:04 PM Z

From: Martin Angerman <paleophoto@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Move to synthetic materials (from versatile surfactant_
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:25:01 -0800

> I infer that the fogging would come from the OH groups. I was under
> the impression that a strong alkali was required.

Even some trace amount of unknown reducing compounds present in some
gelatin is known to fog emulsion, especially if combined with gold
latensification. Ordinary gold sensitization is also known to elevate
fog if reduction occurs. The identities of those compounds that remain
in "inert" gelatin is unknown, but people at Chiba University among
others are studying these, but suspicion goes to reducing sugars.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"People seldom do what they believe in.  They do what is convenient,