Re: vacuum easel?

From: Eric S. Theise ^lt;verve@well.com>
Date: 01/20/05-08:31:50 PM Z

Dalyvoss@aol.com writes:
> i will have ), i realize now that i DO need a vacuum
> FRAME.
>
> The next question i have of course, is can i build it, or will i have
> to, ....gulp...., buy one? Seems i could use a large vacuum easel
> and add a glass frame hinged to it. Would that work?

It probably depends on how large you're planning to work. Some people
simply sandwich things between a heavy sheet of glass and foam rubber,
letting gravity do the work. Some people use the old style hinged-back
contact printing frames. The Bostick and Sullivan site has plans for a
DIY vacuum frame, or you could get a heavy duty one on eBay or from a
local seller of used pre-press equipment.

I have been told that used vacuum frames are not as easy to come by as
they used to be, because someone figured out that there's demand for
them in South America. I have heard this from a number of people out
here, though it is hard to believe that it's profitable to ship these
monsters all that way.

--Eric