Re: was Re: Gum print formaline, now glyoxal yellowing

From: Kees Brandenburg ^lt;ctb@zeelandnet.nl>
Date: 01/31/05-09:44:26 AM Z

When we discussed this same issue in spring last year I sized some
samples Canson Fontenay, the paper I am using for gumprinting. Sizing
was done in a tray with a 3% (grocery) gelatin solution. I hardened 4
samples and the left one unhardened and added one unsized sample. All
papers where not showing any yellowing when dry.

Samples were hardened as followed:

sample 1: unsized, unhardened
sample 2: sized, unhardened
sample 3: sized, soaked for 3 minutes in 1 liter water with 15 ml
formalin(37%), dried
sample 4: sized, soaked for 3 minutes in 1 liter water with 15 ml
glyoxal (40%), rinsed for 5 minutes in running water, dried
sample 5: sized, soaked for 3 minutes in 1 liter water with 15 ml
glyoxal (40%), dried
sample 6: sized, soaked for 3 minutes in 1 liter water with 50 ml Maco
Geladur (this is a 2.5 - 5% glutaraldehyde solution), dried

Note: probably the glutaraldehyde concentration could have been lower.

Then I dated all samples (April 11, 2004) and put them in individual
black plastic envelopes in a dry place at room temperature. Today I
decided to open them.

At first sight one sample (# 5 - unrinsed glyoxal) had yellowed
completely and one (# 4 - rinsed glyoxal) yellowed only at the bottow
where there was a gelatin buildup.
After this visual inspection I took readings with my color densitometer
(old X-Rite 310X)

These values (M, C, Y) I measured:

sample 1: M 0.06, C 0.06, Y 0.07
sample 2: M 0.06, C 0.06, Y 0.07
sample 3: M 0.06, C 0.06, Y 0.12
sample 4: M 0.06, C 0.06, Y 0.08
sample 5: M 0.06, C 0.06, Y 0.07
sample 6: M 0.06, C 0.06, Y 0.07

Conclusion: with this paper there is a significant yellowing when
hardened in glyoxal and left unrinsed. Unhardened gelatin does not
yellow. Maybe this could change when exposed to light. There is a slight
measured yellowing (but probably not significant) on the surface and
some yellowing at the edges with the rinsed glyoxal sample.
I did not try printing gum on glutaraldehyde hardened paper yet. Glyoxal
and formalin hardened papers behave similar. I am using the rinsed
glyoxal method for several years now and will probably keep using it.

kees