RE: A couple of questions.

From: Kate M ^lt;kateb@paradise.net.nz>
Date: 07/05/05-04:33:46 AM Z

Hi Oody, I used to operate a small non-photography business that used
chemistry (dyes) in our back yard. We had a very deep well, cased and
drilled through rock, and a septic tank. I installed a whole separate
filter/drainage system and kept the chemistry outfall as far as possible
away from the wellhead. This was as good as I could do in the
circumstances, as we lived in a really backwoods area and other disposal
options weren't available anyway. We are all still alive and well 10
years later.

I must say that I was discharging very little chemistry as the dyes I
used at the time were fully absorbed into the fibres (wool) and were
chosen specifically because of this - the majority of the residue was
very weak diluted acetic acid. I think if I were doing it today I would
choose a different path. I would hesitate to discharge any photographic
chemistry into the ground. Better to collect it and dispose of it
elsewhere. The amount of chemistry in wash water would probably not
affect the septic tank's working, but it's still going into the ground.

Cheers
Kate