Re: APIS, looong post

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 07/13/05-02:24:23 AM Z

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

 My bottom line about alt process is
> the proof is in the pudding--the prints.

I couldn't agree more, in fact this is one of the first things I said to
this list when I came on here in 1998. List mavens were trying to tell
me that I was doing gum "wrong" because I wasn't doing it the way they
do it, so I went to a gallery and looked at my work on the wall for a
long time, and I came back to the list and said thanks for all the
advice, but I think the proof of the pudding is in the prints, and my
prints tell me to keep doing what I'm doing.

Our group is getting smaller, and maybe
> when silver gelatin becomes an alt process we will see an immediate
> burgeoning of numbers, but right now it's a pretty darn few of us out there

This statement puzzles me. I have seen an enormous increase in interest
in alt processes, particularly gum, in the last five years. Since I've
never been to APIS, I have no idea what it's like and can have no
opinion about why APIS is shrinking at the same time interest in the
processes is growing. Maybe, like me, people just have other things to
do. Each time, I always have a giddy moment where I think maybe I'll
just drop everything and go, but then reality sets in and I realize it
doesn't make sense for me to do that. Maybe next time... Thanks for the
report; it helps us outsiders feel at least like we've got a peek in the
window.
Katharine