Re: Kodak B&W Paper Discontinued

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 07/13/05-11:43:23 AM Z

From: "Baird, Darryl" <dbaird@umflint.edu>
Subject: RE: Kodak B&W Paper Discontinued
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:29:05 -0400

> I would like to weigh in with a question - what products would be
> desired, as a 'must-have' from Kodak? Could these products/materials
> be revived by smaller, boutique-style manufacuers or are there other
> problems involved that the scale and size of Kodak solved. Would
> Kodak sell the patents?

I hope Kodak continues to make all current b&w films. If not, I'd keep
T-MAX 100, Tri-X and T-MAX P3200 and ditch others. (Though I love
Plus-X a lot and I always stock several bricks in my fridge.) I don't
need any Kodak processing chemicals. Regarding products useful for
non-silver halide photography, I think all useful products from Kodak
are gone already...

It is unlikely that Kodak bothers to sell their patents when they
discontinue some products. Color printing paper is still a viable
market and at least Fujifilm is still putting a significant research
into it. It's hard to know which of older patents are useful later in
court when there is a dispute for current products.

Also, buying Kodak patents is not going to enable a small company to
produce Kodak-quality films. Kodak products depend on not only Kodak
inventions but also inventions by others and they have mutual
licensing agreements. Also, patents are required to disclose the best
mode of implementation of the invention known to the inventor but they
are very often very short in this aspect, and also they are by no
means required to disclose the best product design utilizing the
invention. That is, patent may give you some information but it is not
enough to make a product. Much of important information is kept
proprietary.